Friday, August 17, 2012

On Fire

Since I didn't get all churchy on my last post (and I could have!) I decided to write about something very spiritual that has been on my mind lately.

During the Olympics opening ceremony they always light up the Olympic torch. This time in London they did something I had never seen before and it got me thinking. They had 7 young athletes light 7 cauldrons, these seven would then light up all 250 of them that would then be raised up to form a beautiful, powerful fire that was kept alive for 17 days straight. It interested me that they chose young athletes to do this, they could have chosen anyone, more recognized athletes or former retired athletes, but no, they chose the new generation to light up the fire. I come from a generation where God is not a daily thing, in fact God is a forgotten thing, it only took 7 athletes to light up 250 cauldrons, it might take only one YOUNG person to light a fire for God in many other people. Being young doesn't mean we are at a disadvantage, on the contrary it means that we have the power to impact people more. Most unsaved people see teenagers all the same because our generation has given them the right to see us that way, you could be the one that makes a difference, you could be the one that God chose to light a fire. These athletes were already carrying their fire, as a christian, you have to carry your fire and make sure it stays alive. DON'T LET IT DIE DOWN!!!
Don't let your passion for God die because of the things around you, the problems, the people, the sin. God works for the good of those who love him (Romans 8:28), good things are bound to come your way if you work for the kingdom of God, it's a reality. Do you really think he'll forget about the good that you do? Have courage when God calls you to share his love with someone, to light a fire in someone, he is with you all.the.time!!!!

A fire is kept alive by adding some form of fuel to it. Yesterday I really felt overwhelmed because I realized I haven't been fueling my fire for God, I haven't been reading my bible or remembering my verses or praying as often as I used to and I felt guilty and scared, I don't want my fire to die! This reminded me that my fire is alive and healthy, my passion is there and my faith is alive, but it could diminish if I don't fuel it, my passion could go away if I don't keep seeking God. If I don't pray or read or remember God at least once a day everyday, I will eventually forget about him and that's a place where I WON'T allow myself to go. I HAVE to constantly seek God in order to keep my fire alive because I want to see more kids like me be on fire for him, God chose a 19 year old to light the fire inside of me, to inspire me to accept Christ and be crazy about God, maybe tomorrow my fire could inspire someone else. It's all for His glory!

After all 250 cauldrons were lit I pondered, how sad would that fire look if only one cauldron would have gone up? And even worse, what if by the end of the games all the cauldrons would have gone off? I started thinking about the youth around me. I am surrounded by teenagers who love God and I love encouraging them, I love to tell people that God is AMAZING and that they should read their bibles, or sometimes I share bible verses with them. I believe that one of my many jobs in life is to encourage Christian youth to be crazy passionate about God, think about the 250 cauldrons and the picture I put up, doesn't that fire look beautiful? It is BRIGHT! And fierce!! A group of kids ON FIRE for God can do amazing things for the kingdom! If you know your fire is going steady then help the people around you go steady as well. Jesus doesn't call us only to go out and light fires (make disciples), he also calls us to keep each other accountable. You can't let your fire die but you also can't let the fire die in the people around you that's why I beg you, PLEASE PRAY for your fellowship! Help them fuel the fire in every way but if it doesn't work let God take care of it, he knows their hearts.

I AM ON FIRE FOR GOD and I encourage you to feed and fuel your fire (as I also know I have to fuel mine). My passion for God is the greatest passion I have ever had because I know I'm being passionate about something that matters, something that is real, I am passionate about God because I know he is crazy about me, he loves me more than I could ever love him and that is why I CAN'T let my fire for him die, because no matter what I do I know.....he is on fire for me too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment